Thursday, July 9, 2009

Well this morning is one out of the bag, Brianna was up at 8am and started her feed at 8.20am and was back in bed sound asleep just after 9am. Normally she would be having her feed at 9am and not back into bed till 10 – 10.30, so for me it feels like I have got so much extra time up my sleeve. All the better to finally sit down and get some blogging done.

Last week I was sick with a breast infection and I can tell you that it is not much fun! Along with the discomfort, I had flu like symptoms and it really was a struggle to look after Brianna. Scott was a great help and got up with me in the night to change her and stayed home from work until after the first feed was done. I felt so helpless, basically I managed to feed her, and when she wasn’t feeding I was lying on the couch, awake when she was up and asleep when she was down. It also made me realise just how much interacting we do together in a day, because I didn’t have the energy to do even talk to her much, so I knew I was getting better when I started to talk, sing and play with her again.

Brianna has started interacting with us now, she is giving lots of smiles and also trying to talk. It just melts my heart to get her big smiles and small wee giggles and it makes you play with her more because you want to get that feedback. It is so great to be getting something back from her now after mostly being all about feeding and sleeping up till now. She is also having more awake times too, generally in the afternoon, she used to only be up for an hour, but sometimes she can be up for 2 hours, just depends on the day really.

This week has been a pretty big one for Brianna, and for Mum & Dad. We gave Brianna her first bottle feed. Brianna and Dad did beautifully. I expressed the feed and gave the bottle to Dad, Brianna chugged the bottle down no worries. Scott really enjoyed being able to feed her and do some Dad bonding. I on the other hand struggled with it at first, it was really hard watching Scott feeding her, a role that up till now was solely mine and almost felt like part of my motherhood role was being taken away. A mixture of emotions really, I was stoked that Scott was able to feed her and it means that it gives me more flexibility as well, but I didn’t realise I would find it hard.

We bought Brianna a bouncer last weekend (thanks Grandad) and have used it a few times, she seems to like it. She is really enjoying sitting up, so have actually put a cushion behind her a couple of times to prop her up even more. It is great for me though, I can drag her around with me and keep a better eye on her. Yesterday I popped her up on the kitchen bench while I got the vegies sorted for tea and she was as happy as!

When I was sick last week, Plunket visited and Brianna weighed in at 10lb 11oz, so not sure what she will be now, but she is definitely putting on some great weight. A happy healthy baby!

Hehe next week we have a big trip away up to Christchurch. Scott and I are driving up on Thursday, Scott is staying for the weekend and flying home on Monday and then Brianna and I are staying up for the rest of the week and coming home on Sunday. Have got lots of visits lined up with family and friends so really looking forward to it. I started writing a list yesterday of what we would need to take, hmm I have already got a full page and I haven’t even got to Scott and myself!


A rare photo of me & Mum (Mum is usually taking the photos!)

Smiles

All wrapped up

Catching up on some reading

What you looking at Mum!


Fun in the sun


Ahh this couch is comfy

First bottle feed, didn't I do well

No comments: