Sunday, March 29, 2009

Freedom

My last full week of work this week, wow it does seem a bit surreal.

It was a much busier week than I expected it to be, mostly because of the 3 days I had off sick the previous week, but being busy made time go fast so I wasn’t complaining.

It was only at 3.30pm on Friday afternoon that I finally felt that I could shut down my computer and walk away from the office. My boss (Rob) took me out for coffee at 4pm and thanked me for all the hard work I had put in over the last 4 and a half years, and we spent time reminiscing and chatting about the good and bad over my time with Cogent.

At 4.30ish we had our usual Friday night drinks and I wasn’t expecting a huge send off or anything because technically I am not really leaving (just taking 12 months maternity leave - officially). But anyway, Rob gave a really nice speech and everyone had signed a card and put in some money so now I have some more shopping to do for Mojo :-)

I ended up being the last to leave the office, sometime after 6pm, and considering I had been the first to arrive that morning, thought it was quite fitting for my last day.

Hmm did I say last day, well I am not quite done with the place yet. At 4.30pm on Friday I got an email accepting a deal I had proposed, so I will be back in at some stage next week to do the paperwork etc for that. But apart from that it is a strange feeling to be leaving work and not being quite sure of when I will be back, and if I do go back, I can’t imagine it will be full time, so my job as I know it won’t be quite the same again.

But for this moment I am not thinking about work at all, and instead focussing on the time off I am going to have over the next couple of weeks. I have already booked in a few coffees and lunches for next week so that I am not too bored, but will also be doing some well deserved relaxing. So lookout couch!

No comments: