Friday, April 24, 2009

New Plans

Yesterday was to be the last Pre-natal Midwife visit before Mojo’s inducement on Sunday, however as is often the case in the antenatal world things have changed again!

We met with Toni yesterday who hooked me up to the CTG monitor to record Mojo’s heartbeat (a process I am becoming all too familiar with). She also checked my cervix (not fun).

After discussing her findings with a lovely consultant Helen, Helen & Toni came through and we had a detailed discussion about the options moving forward.

In regards to the heartbeat, despite the fact that Mojo is still skipping a beat, each trace recorded on the CTG they have been happy with, it has been consistent and beating well so they are still not concerned at this stage.

My cervix was not in a favourable position for labour, which basically means that I haven’t gone into labour yet, but could change at any time.

Based on these this Helen advised that it would be best not to schedule an induction at this stage and to wait and reassess on Monday. She outlined that with any induction there is more risk of complications during labour and delivery and the less favourable the Cervix is, the more chance of it ending in a caesarean section. At this stage, the risk to Mojo with an induction far outweighs the concern for her staying where she is and hoping for a natural delivery.

So the new plan is to go back into hospital tomorrow for another CTG and then again on Monday, meet with Toni to reassess where we are at and make a new plan. We also have another Ultrasound booked for Monday to ensure that everything is still ok with Mojo’s heart development etc, and a new decision will be made armed with the up to date information. At this stage they are hoping that I will go into labour naturally and that we won’t have to go down the induction path at all, however if Mojo becomes stressed in any way, or the hospital staff are worried then they will react immediately and do what needs to be done to ensure Mojo’s safety.

I had mixed emotions after the visit yesterday; deep down I am glad at this stage not to be doing the induction, because I would really like to go into labour naturally and see how my body goes and whether I would be close to due date or not, but then on the other hand, because we had been told I was going to be induced on Sunday, mentally we have been preparing for the fact that Mojo would be with us next week and now that may not happen, so there is a little bit of sadness as well.

So we are back to being like all other pregnant women in the world, waiting and not sure exactly when bubs will be born.

It is definitely getting a bit more uncomfortable for me now, Mojo’s head is well into my pelvis so is causing a some discomfort (still not bad that I have managed to last this long without issues). I am also starting to have a little bit more trouble sleeping at night, but still feeling fine in the morning, so again it can’t be too bad.

It has been great having Mum around and we have been doing lots of relaxing, talking, reading and a little bit of shopping, but certainly not having any trouble filling in our days at all. It’s hard to believe that Mum has been here over a week already.

Thanks to everyone who has left comments of support on our blog or emailed us, it is uplifting to read your comments and know you are all thinking of us during this time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Muff,

Thanks for the email you sent me for my birthday. It was so nice to hear from you.
Thanks again for reminding me about your blog. It was great to have a nosey at it, see your photos and read about your joys and concerns etc. I'll be praying that all goes well for you and that you don't need to be induced. With love,
Mags

Kirsty said...

Hi Marty & Scott

Just got your text that 'Mojo' has arrived safely. Congratulations - we're so thrilled and excited for you both and all your family. Can't believe she came so promptly - what a clever girl. I'm presuming it all happened naturally but we'll wait to hear all about it soon.

Take care, enjoy and give Mojo a big kiss from us.
Love Rob, Kirsty and Noah

P.S. - what's with no name - I mean really guys you've had 9 months!!!

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Must be an amazing feeling to finally welcome Mojo into your family.
Hope all is well with you both.
Waiting in anticipation for a name though..........
Thought you would of had one picked out already!!!
Hoping to see some pics of you all soon.
Once again, congratulations to you both.
Lots of love,
Lisa xoxo