Went to see Toni (Midwife) and Mojo’s growth and everything was fine, but when she went to listen to her heart, she noticed an irregular beat. Mojo was missing every 6th beat, very weird sound to hear. So that set the wheels in motion. Toni was quick to reassure us that this can sometimes happen and most likely wasn’t anything to be worried about but that it is better to get these things checked, so she immediately booked me in for an ultrasound for that afternoon at 4.15pm, and following the ultrasound we were to meet Toni back at the hospital at 6pm to talk about results and do some heart monitoring. My BP had also been up so she sent me off to get more bloods done as well.
Toni said it could be any of the following:
1. Nothing at all to worry about
2. Something that requires monitoring
3. I could already be in labour
4. Mojo could be stressed and need to come out early
It would be fair to say that Scott and I left Toni and despite her reassurances we were both feeling pretty worried.
Mum was due to come down on Thursday morning, but we had talked that morning and said that if I went into labour I should call her immediately. Well we weren’t really sure what was happening, but phoned and chatted to Mum and gave her the rundown and by 2.30pm Mum was on the road heading down, slightly earlier than planned.
I got my bloods done at the hospital and then Scott and I both headed home. I rechecked my hospital bag, and Scott threw together a few things for himself and then we tried to relax (much easier said than done), then we were back into town again for the scan at 4.15pm.
After waiting for about ½ hr we finally got taken through for the scan. The radiologist confirmed what we had heard earlier than Mojo was skipping every 6th beat. As far as she could see though, the heart was fine and the 4 chambers looked good and the left and right side were both pumping normally.
So then we headed back to public hospital to meet with Toni who had brought our appointment forward to 5.30pm. She took us down to a room and hooked me up to a CTG machine which is used to monitor the foetal heartbeat and can be used to identify signs of distress.
Toni wanted to monitor for 40 minutes and after about 15 minutes she wasn’t happy with the machine we were using as the beat kept disappearing off the monitor so she got a newer machine and hooked me up again. In the end after about ½ hr of monitoring on the second machine the Dr came and had a chat and said that at this stage they weren’t worried about the heartbeat, but wanted to keep an eye on things. She said that it was quite common in late pregnancy for foetuses to miss a beat and the next CTG could be fine, or once bubs is born then they can do more monitoring directly onto her heart and find she is perfectly fine too. So it would be fair to say they were being cautious, but not overly concerned, and I wasn’t in labour at this stage. Toni also confirmed that bloods had come back fine.
So they sent us home again and I have to go back in again on Friday and Monday to do more monitoring and they will reassess again at those times, and decide whether or not there is reason for more concern, whether I need to be induced, or at the very least they probably wont let me go much over term.
By this time it was 7pm and we were pretty shattered (it really had been a long afternoon). I phoned Mum and she was only about half an hour away, so we waited for her to arrive and got some Thai for tea and then headed home to chill.
Typical that because Mum came down early that nothing happened and we were sent home, however if she had decided to wait, Murphy’s Law would have dictated that I would have gone into labour. Oh well, at least instead of having to get up early this morning to get on the road, she is already here. So I think that we are going to have a very relaxing day today!
I have added a couple of photos that Scott took of me yesterday, so this is me at 38 weeks and 3 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment